Anne Marie Cussins MA.DipPsych. Registered with The United Kingdom Council of Psychotherapy (UKCP).
I trained as a psychotherapist at The Institute of Psychotherapy and Social Studies and received my diploma in 1986. I was awarded a Masters degree in 1986 in The Psychology of Counselling and Psychotherapy at Regent's College, London.
My approach is psycho-analytic/psychodynamic.
As a psychotherapist for individuals or couples, I offer a high level of listening and empathy.
I specialise in working with women and have a feminist sensibility in regard to gender, understanding that low self-esteem and loss of direction in life are connected with restrictive definitions of femininity working at a deep level to create vaults of depression.
Cultural identities have a complex interrelationship with family influences and the internalisation of this complex behind identity is of special interest to me.
When working with men I understand that gender positioning and the cultural need for strength and control, has meaning and is interrelated with the individual's personal and family experiences.
My approach takes into account the many complexities and the individuality of the symptom for each person. A focus of my research has been women and mental health and in 2001 my article on The Role of Body Image in Women's Mental Health was published in Feminist Review.
I have experience in working with all aspects of the couple relationship, including issues with children, sexuality and mediation for separating couples. One of the main sources of tension in the couple relationship is the need for the individual to be both separate and intimate. Psycho-analytic couple therapy sees both the conscious and unconscious aspects of each partner as a focus as well as the relationship between partners.
- Bereavement counselling at The Mulberry Centre, a clinic for cancer sufferers and their families at West Middlesex Hospital
Leading self-development groups for trainee psychotherapists, most recently at Brighton University.
- Trained at The Post-Adoption Centre to work with issues in this area
- Teaching and Supervision at The Institute of Psychotherapy and Social Studies and The New School of Psychotherapy and Counselling
- Staff group facilitator for Social services
- Short-term counselling for a number of Employee Assistance Programmes
Areas of Specialism
- Eating disorders and Body Image*
- Deprivation in early childhood
- Psychosomatic problems including panic attacks, anxiety and depression
My MA. thesis was entitled 'Self Identity and Eating Disorders'.